Services We Provide
In 2009, our father was diagnosed with cancer and given three months to live. His mother had lung cancer and recovered, and we all thought that would be his outcome too, but there was nothing the doctors could do to help him.
It started with the endless medical appointments. The call from the hospital doctor saying to gather our loved ones left us stunned and asking ourselves if we'd heard correctly. Then began all the equipment! It was brought in slowly at first; the walker, grab bars, bed rails and the shower bench, which he quite easily accepted as being useful and necessary. Then came the big stuff - the electric stand up chair, the reclining wheel chair, the transport wheelchair, poles, hospital bed, and finally the dreaded lift. While the equipment was a godsend to us, to him it represented a reminder of his loss of independence and impending fate. On the Equipment Service Agreement paper were the words "Short term rental program". It took us a few weeks before it dawned on us the cold realization of what that meant.
Looking back, caring for our dad and having him die at home was one of the most moving, tender moments of our lives. What I wouldn't give for one last walk down the hallway with my dad to his bedroom, the walker making that swishing sound as it glided along the hardwood floors.
The final moment of being at our dad's side in his home was truly special. We wish everyone could experience that feeling of being there for a loved. At age 79 he took his last breath. The home help we received from Vancouver Coastal Health, Three Bridges Palliative Care Unit was outstanding and allowed our dad to outlive the short term rental period, and for that we are forever grateful. He passed peacefully in March 2010.
Siblings, Jocelyn and Eric Macdonald opened Premier Homecare Services Vancouver Westside with first- hand knowledge of what it is like to be on the receiving side of accepting help, and they started their home care business wanting others' experience to be as nice as it was for them.
Memberships and Associations
- The Department of Veterans Affairs: we accept DVA claims
- The Insurance Corporation of BC: we accept ICBC claims
- The College of Dietitians of BC: our Managing Director, Jocelyn Macdonald, is a member in good standing of the CDBC
- Dietitians of Canada: Jocelyn Macdonald is a member in good standing
- Members of Vancouver Board of Trade
- Better Business Bureau: we have an A+ Rating with the BBB of Mainland BC
- The Canadian Franchise Association: we are members in good standing with the CFA and won the 2010 CFA Gold Award of Excellence and the 2011 Franchisees' Choice Designation
- Member of CARP